The New Gourmand
Food is a universal language. Whether you possess well honed culinary skills or enjoy the simplicity of dishes that you know by heart, once sat down at the dinner table we become part of an experience which is greater than the food in front of us.
Simply put, dinner is more than nutrition: the time spent cooking and eating amongst others nourishes our whole being. The custom of our evening meal is important in helping us disentangle from the chaos of daily living, so that we may return to ourselves and our space.
We believe that this time of day is worth honouring. Investing your efforts in your space as well as your food can create memorable nights every day of the week. So, to help you curate a beautiful placesetting – whether that be for one, two or however many – we have developed a recipe for your perfect table.
Dinner might be a daily event but your evenings need not be ordinary. Use our recipe to curate an unforgettable night any day of the week.
1. Get out your linens the night before to let the creases fall away.
2. Begin your evening with some ambiance – choose a calming playlist and light a favourite candle.
3. We like to decide on the centrepiece for the table first. It can be flowers in a favourite vase, some candles of varying heights, a few ornamental pieces dotted along the centre, or even a serving bowl of fresh citrus fruits – the options for beautiful decorations are endless and we invite you to experiment.
4. Lay your plates, cutlery and linens for the main meal – play with matching and mismatching as you wish. Both aesthetics have their particular charm.
5. Choose your glassware. We usually have at least two glasses placed on the table: one for water and one for the drink of choice that evening.
6. Make the serveware a feature on your table. Arrange condiment pots or large walnut serving spoons thoughtfully – though it shouldn’t look perfect, a little disorder is charming.
7. Finally, think of the transition from dinner to afters. This doesn’t need to be meticulously planned but consider what you would like to use for dessert or coffee. As we settle more into the evening, we like to have a more minimal table.
8. Delight in your beautiful table, and the evening spent in good company with delicious food.
Enjoy and adapt this recipe to suit your taste.
"The custom of our evening meal is important in helping us disentangle from the chaos of daily living, so that we may return to ourselves and our space."